Tuesday, August 31, 2010

School Rules! Beginning 2010-2011


Well, I have been trying to get to post for a while to talk about the beginning of school.  Opening a new school and working on all the "stuff" it takes to get everyone else going has taken precedent.  However, I spent some time this evening reflecting on the start of school for me.  Reflection can be the most profound part of learning wherever you are as a learner (check out Marzano's work).   But what about you?  So how was the "launch" of 2010-2011 for you and your students? 
I have to say that for me, I am totally excited about this year for several reasons --- first and foremost is that I am teaching at a school that ROCKS!  There are LOTS of reasons that Cedar Ridge rocks.  I mean, seriously, who else is teaching somewhere that classes change to the sound of lightening and rain over the PA followed by different music daily (today's were TV themes!)  The rain goes with our PBIS initiative of RAIN (Respect, Achievement, Investment, Nobility).  How kid-friendly and fun is that, I ask you.  However, I will say, The Ridge is still very much a work in progress --- we still don't have all our "stuff" and the technology can go "wonky" at times, but it is like moving into a new house where you have to learn how to use everything and grow into your space to make the place a home. 
As I was leaving school today, I spent a few minutes gabbing  with one of my assistant principals about how exciting work is these days --- which for those of you who know me, know that I came from the sweetest middle school in the District (although I am not prejudice or anything).  But let's face it, school is about kids ---- everything else is helpful, but kids are kids and I am lovin my students! 
So how did I spend my first week of school?  I spent a lot of the first week working on relationships  with kids and getting them to understand we are building an artistic community together.  One class day was devoted to playing games that got them to know each other and me as a teacher.  What you see pictured is one activity where random groupings of students are challenged to build newspaper towers to see who can build the highest tower.  Through this activity, they get to learn about each other, work as a team, and get to know that my classroom is a safe place to express themselves, make mistakes and most importantly, take risks.  For me as a teacher, that is one of the most important lessons for the foundation I am building each year.
What about you?  How did you spend your first week with kids?  As I have been out and about, I have seen lots of different approaches to starting visual art with kids.  Ask yourself about what kind of tone have you set and what are your expectations for your students.  Reflect on your practice --- this will make you a stronger teacher I am sure.  See ya in the artroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment